Experiential learning is as valuable to the growth and development of a young person as is an academic education. The League's Community Resources Division provides a broad array of experiential opportunities to young people. These include in-agency internship placement, out-of-agency internship placement, hands-on experiential workshops, and field trip learning opportunities.
A variety of education, cultural enrichment, and sports opportunities are provided to children and youth during the program year. Some seasonal opportunities are also offered. Some of these opportunities include the following:
- Baseball Clinic sponsored by the Washington Nationals
- Golf clinic sponsored by Langston Golf Course
- Special personal growth and development workshops
- Discount coupons to the Disney on Ice shows
- Discount coupons to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus
- Free or discounted tickets to local theatre productions
- Toy distribution to needy families unable to provide toys to children at Christmas
- Back pack solicitation and distribution at beginning of school year
- Sending youth to the National Urban League Youth Summit annually
- Referral of junior high school students to the Posse Foundation, a post-secondary education recruitment foundation for 8 universities
GWUL strongly believes in the provision of post-secondary education opportunities to young people. To this end, GWUL works to increase the awareness of parents and their children about post-secondary opportunities. These may include scholarship information, skill training for specific employment opportunities (e.g. nursing school, barber school, etc.), community college opportunities, internships, extemships, and military special opportunities.
In addition, GWUL refers students and parents to college and university fairs, introductory receptions and college tour events.
GWUL staff also assist young people complete college applications, financial aid applications, reviews essays, and provides letters of recommendations.
In-agency internships are provided to high school and college students. They are provided with placements during the school year as well as during the summer. They are provided with a wide variety of exposures, skill training, and general learning opportunities.